Tuesday, November 4, 2008

R.I.P. Tuba Man

I woke up today full of excitement and hope! After all, it is election day and it is our chance to make the world a better place again. I felt great. I exercised my democratic rights, Obama is on his way to the Presidency, traffic was easy today... nothing could be better.

But here am I, just 5 hours into my day and I feel a great deal of sadness. I learned just a few moments ago that Seattle was robbed of one of its most iconic people. Tuba-Man, Edward McMichael, was beaten and robbed and tragically died of his injuries.

I am not sure how exactly to explain Tuba Man, or Seattle's relationship with him. I can only tell you that he was a fixture here. A memory of all things good of growing up in this area. Every Sonics game, every Nutcracker performance, every crisp night in winter with the tree's in Seattle Center illuminated by Christmas lights included the gentle tooting of his Tuba. He made such beautiful music, and no matter what kind of day you had, his music always made you smile.

Although he was part of the background of so many experiences of my childhood, I finally had the good fortune to actually make his acquaintance two years back. After a memorable Christmas time night at Seattle Center with close friends, I decided that I need to tell Tuba Man just how much I appreciated his music. He shook my hand, told us all a few tales, and then posed with me for a photo. I am so glad that I had that experience.

I saw him just a few weeks ago on my daily walk past Safeco Field. I remembered that photo and laughed. I am so sad to know that he will not continue to make memories for people in this area.

I think that this is just a note of finality for me and Seattle. In the emotional turmoil involved with leaving this great city for my impending move to Colorado, I think I finally realize that Seattle is no longer the city that I loved, and in could always find beauty. The murder of Tuba Man has closed the chapter of Seattle in my life. It can never be quite the same again.

You played your music beautifully tuba man. Thank you for 20 years of memories and for helping make Seattle what it was. You will not be forgotten.





No comments: